Same Day Service - Call Toll Free: 1-800-323-3023
The Blog

Consumer Reports Fire Safety Tips For Your Appliances

April 26th, 2014

Consumer Reports has suggested that about half of all appliance-related fires are caused by misuse, whereas the other half are caused by the appliance themselves. Explains Dan DiClerico, senior editor at Consumer Reports, “We identified a variety of causes for these fires, including faulty refrigerator compressors and defective control boards in dishwashers. In some cases, cooking appliances were even turning on by themselves. Incidents may seem low, but the risk is very high.”

As consumers, it’s important to be aware of all the ways in which you can protect yourself and your home from devastation.

Be sure to read these tips below to keep your appliance safe and fire-free, and to be extra sure, make sure to have Immediate Appliance come out to your home to check them for you. Be safe!


1. Let the manufacturer know how to reach you by registering your purchase. You don’t have to answer all the marketing questions in the registration form, but can just give the manufacturer your name, contact information, and the appliance’s model number.

2. Find out about recalls by signing up for alerts. When you move into a home, check the existing appliances for recalls by visiting the manufacturer’s website, then see what others have to say about those products at the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s Safer Products website.

3. Put a smoke detector with photoelectric and ionization sensors and a full-floor fire extinguisher (rated 2-a:10-B) on each level of your home, and a smaller fire extinguisher in your kitchen.

4. Inspect power cords. Check for frayed power cords and never route electric cords (including extension cords) under carpeting, where they can overheat or be damaged by furniture.

5. Match your home’s electrical system to your appliances. If you have an older home, upgrade the wiring so it can handle modern appliances.

6. Don’t leave food to cook itself. Unattended cooking on the range or microwave is a common source of fires. Unplug small cooking appliances like toaster ovens when not in use.

7. Clean range hoods because built-up grease is a fire hazard.

8. Clean your lint screens and dryer vent because lint buildup can cause fires. Use a smooth, rigid metal dryer duct rather than a flexible foil or plastic duct, which can sag and cause lint to build up inside.